Shane Warne, the Australian cricket legend, has been ruled out as a potential successor for outgoing Victoria coach David Saker.
The 46-year-old had been linked to a return back to his home state as a replacement for Saker, who last week was appointed Australia’s full-time bowling coach. James Erskine, Warne’s manager, ruled out the former leg-spinner for Victoria’s top coaching gig. “It’s just not viable,” Erskine told The Age on Tuesday (July 19). It is believed Warne has two years to run on his summer commentarycontract with Channel Nine and would be reluctant to forgo that plum role.
Shaun Graf, Cricket Victoria operations manager, will spend this week scouring England in a bid to find a potential replacement for Saker. Former Victorian all-rounder Andrew McDonald, who is currently coaching Leicestershire, has been linked to the role as has Chris Rogers, the former Test opener.
Other candidates include former Victoria players Darren Berry and Matthew Mott,and Tim Coyle, the former Tasmania coach. Tony Dodemaide, Victoria chief executive, said Graf would return from England with a list of possible applicants.
“He is doing a bit of research for us there but we’ll get his report. I think he is back at the end of the week,” Dodemaide told The Age. “But we’ll also, obviously, be considering other options as well. It’s not as if anyone over there is particularly assured of getting a role. It’s just a matter of doing good due diligence. It’s an important decision for us.
“I think we have just to accept there is a lot of experienced coaches and some up-and-coming coaches as well,” he added.